At a recent campaign event, President Barack Obama, continued his stock answer when attendees booed at the mention of Mitt Romney: “Don’t boo, vote!” Then, the president continued, “Voting is the best revenge.” Of course, the Mitt Romney and Romney campaign jumped on that statement, and per their usual, twisted the words to claim that the president said to “vote for revenge”. That, of course, is NOT what he said.
As we all know, President Obama has been constantly attacked, vilified, threatened, and obstructed since he first formally announced his candidacy in February 2007 in Springfield, IL. On Inauguration Night 2009, the top Republicans in Congress, plus Karl Rove and others, met in a hotel room to plan their obstructionist strategy to attempt to ensure the failure of the Obama Administration. Senator Mitch McConnell (R-KY) famously stated that the “#1 goal of the Republican Party is to ensure that President Obama is a one-term president…” Congressman John Boehner (R-OH) was taped screaming on the floor of the House of Representatives that his answer to everything the president would propose is: “No, Hell No!”
In the 2010 mid-term election season, the Republicans won many elections for local, state legislators, and governorships promising “jobs, jobs, jobs”. However, once in office, the House of Representatives has not passed a single jobs bill, defeated almost all jobs initiatives presented by the president, and caused the first ever downgrade of U.S. credit by holding the debt ceiling increase hostage to their demands for offsets in tax reductions for the richest Americans. Of course, all of this has been blamed on President Obama.
Instead of working to help the American people, passing laws that would improve the economy, the Congressional Republicans have done everything in their power to obstruct the president and the Democrats. The only laws they have supported or passed have been on reducing or restricting rights for voters, women, minorities, and immigrants.
So, as we complete the 2012 Voting Season tomorrow (November 6, 2012), here are five reasons why “Voting is the Best Revenge” for us Progressives, Liberals, Democrats, and Independents who are tired of the extreme right-wing and teabagger Republicans:
1) Voting is the Best Revenge for the multi-state voter intimidation and suppression efforts by the Republicans. They have been crying “voter fraud” for years, yet the only people/groups caught and arrested for voter fraud have been Republicans.
2) Voting is the Best Revenge to overtake the Citizens United Law upheld by the current U.S. Supreme Court. Outside groups are pouring billions of dollars into this election in an attempt to buy our democracy and our government. However, they cannot buy your vote unless you let them.
3) Voting is the Best Revenge to counteract the Republican “War on Women”. Mitt Romney will not say if he supports the Lily Ledbetter Fair Pay Act, which was the first bill signed into law by President Obama. Many Republicans see nothing wrong with women making 73 cents on the dollar of what men make. Republicans, who say they believe is “small government”, have no problem legislating intrusion into women’s most personal health decisions about their own bodies. A whole slew of them–mostly male–have decided to re-define rape and anoint themselves as the masters of women’s bodies–literally.
4) Voting is the Best Revenge to ensure that President Obama will appoint the next two Supreme Court Justices. The Republicans are chomping at the bit to pad the Supreme Court with extreme rightwing justices who will certainly overturn Roe v Wade; they are already placing Planned Parenthood offices nationwide in serious jeopardy; many low-income women in urban and rural areas depend on Planned Parenthood as their only option for preventive medical care for women’s health.
5) Voting is the Best Revenge to show Mitt Romney and the Republicans that the “47%” matter. Romney, Ryan, and the Republicans are dismissive and downright derisive of anyone who is not rich, white, male, and/or heterosexual. America is becoming a”minority-majority” nation, and the Republicans are doing everything they can to deny reality and keep themselves in power.
There are, of course, many more reasons than just five that “Voting is the Best Revenge”. We would love to hear from you–what are your reasons for voting? Let us know in the comments.
Latest posts by BlackLiberalBoomer (see all)
- The Nicholas Brothers: Tap Dancers Extraordinaire - February 10, 2016
- The Forgotten “Insufficient Funds” Statements of the MLK “Dream Speech” - January 18, 2016
- Natalie Cole: Lost But Not Forgotten - January 1, 2016